Friday, January 21, 2011

Charleston South Carolina
















I recently visited Charleston, South Carolina. While I was there I toured the USS Yorktown, a WWII aircraft carrier, as well the USS Clamagore, a submarine. The USS Yorktown was the 10th aircraft carrier to serve in the United States. It was amazing to see how big this ship was. It really puts it into perspective when you see all the airplanes parked on ship. The submarine was commissioned a few weeks before the end of World War II. It is unbelievable how military personnel could live in such tight quarters for months at a time. It is so narrow in the submarine that you barely have room to walk the hallway. Two people could not pass each other at the same time.





While in Charleston, I also went downtown. I ate at Hymans seafood which was delicious! I had lobster bisque, shrimp and grits, fried clams, and lump crab cake. I also tried their hush puppies which were so sweet and delicious. This restaurant has been written up in Southern Living magazine quite a few times as the number one seafood restaurant in Charleston. Many celebrities have eaten there while visiting Charleston. Downtown was very pretty with all the shops lining the streets, and vendors selling their things at the market. Fresh pralines were being made at a candy shop, so of course I had to try them, and ended up purchasing some as well! The weather was beautiful. It was sunny and cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment